The International Driving Permit (IDP) is recognized worldwide as a valuable document identifying motorists as legally-licensed drivers.
The IDP may prevent any inconvenience when renting a car or when driving in a foreign country where English is not commonly spoken. In such situations, drivers may find themselves handicapped by language barriers. The IDP contains translations of terms used in various international languages that would enable drivers to communicate with car rental companies.
The IDP is also a useful form of identification as it contains a photograph of the driver.
It is highly recommended that the following people apply for IDP. This includes people who are going to a country for reasons other than touring purposes and staying for a period longer than 3 months and hold social visit passes for more than 3 months. However, they should first contact the respective embassies or consulate offices of their country of destination to obtain more information on driving license requirements.
Issuing Authority - AAC
- The Automobile Association of Ceylon (AAC) is the only authorized body in Sri Lanka to issue the 1949 Convention International Driving Permit.
- Internet surfers are advised against applying for IDP’s that are being sold illegally on the web. The sellers of these forged documents are not only breaking the law but are also endangering the lives of road users.
- Those who wish to obtain an IDP for travel abroad are advised to apply for one through the AAC.
Eligibility of IDP Applicant
- The applicant must hold a valid Sri Lankan driving license.
- Permits cannot be issued to holders of foreign driving licenses. They must submit their application in the country of issue of their national driving license.
- Foreign driving license holders who wish to convert their license to a Sri Lankan driving license are advised to first contact the Deputy Commissioner of Motor Traffic, Dept. of Motor Traffic, Werahera Branch, Boralesgamuwa, Sri Lanka. Phone: 2545891.
- The applicant will be required to fill a form and produce the following documents:(a)National driving license (b)Passport (c)Photocopy of passport and national DL (d) 2 Passport size photos.
If the applicant's driving license is in any language other than English it will be necessary to obtain a translation of same preferably from the relevant embassy of that country. Once all the above requirements are complied with, the Registrar of Motor Vehicles will issue a temporary license for a maximum period of 1 year. A fee will be levied for the above.
LIST OF COUNTRIES WHERE THE 1949 CONVENTION INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMITS IS RECOGNIZED:
||PAPUA NEW GUINEA
||SAO TOME & PRINCIPE
||JERSEY (CHANNEL ISLANDS)
||SERBIAN AND MONTENEGRO
|CAPE VERDE ISLANDS
||ST KITTS, NEVIS & ANGUILLA
|CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
||TRINIDAD & TOBAGO
||UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
||UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
- The IDP is available only at the Automobile Association of Ceylon,40,Sir Mohamed Macan Markar Mawatha, Colombo 03.
- To apply for an IDP you need to produce a valid and original Sri Lankan driving licence and 2 passport size photos of the applicant.
- Once the application form is completed and submitted with the above documents it will take a maximum of 7 working days to issue the IDP. However, an IDP on a priority basis may be issued within 3 working days on payment of double the normal fee.
- The IDP is valid for a period of one year from the date of issue.
- If you require an IDP after your current one expires, you will be required to follow the above procedure once again.
- Foreign IDP holders who wish to drive in Sri Lanka must produce their IDP at the AAC head office and on completion of an application form they will be issued a "Recognition Permit", at a very nominal fee, and which must be carried with the IDP at all times.
- It is an offence to drive a vehicle without a valid driving licence, and, where required, a permit. An International Driving Permit issued in Sri Lanka is not valid for use in Sri Lanka.
- It is important to check the details of your particulars printed on the International Driving Permit. Errors, omissions or changes can only be rectified by the Issuing Association (AAC).
- The IDP requires your signature on the line directly beneath your photograph.
- Your valid Sri Lanka driving licence must accompany the IDP at all times when used overseas. The IDP is valid for only 1 year from the date of issue.